Going Home

Well, we’re on our way home now. Yesterday, we checked-out of the Heron Island resort and took the ferry back to Gladstone. We hadn’t made arrangements to get to our hotel from the dock, but it looked like we were in the right part of town. We found an info booth and got directions. Luckily, we were close enough to walk.

We went back to Bo Jangles for dinner where we had a nice BBQ chicken pizza. Gladstone is the largest port in Queensland, but there’s not a lot for tourists. All of the shops had closed by noon, so we were left to watch cricket in our room. This morning, we woke up early and took a taxi to the airport. Our flight to Brisbane was uneventful (I just read the whole time). Then, we got to enjoy the Brisbane airport.

We followed the signs for “International Trans” until they dumped us off at the curbside with no more information. Eventually, I found someone to explain that we had to take the train to the international terminal, and that it would be free if we showed our boarding passes. Well, it turns out that we also needed our itinerary, which we luckily had with us. After waiting on the train for five to ten minutes, it started moving. We had to show our tickets again getting off the train. Once we made it into the terminal, we made our way through ticketing, customs, and security. We bought a few souvenirs and heard and announcement to go to our gate (more than two hours before our flight) because there’s another level of security for our flight. By the time we made it down there, we found that they weren’t ready for us and that it would be another 15-20 minutes.

This time through security, I got to learn of the craziness that has infected US flights. They confiscated the alcohol wipes from my first aid kit (the same ones that were fine on every other flight). They couldn’t have had more than a few drops of alcohol between them, but somehow they’re dangerous. It’s too bad that I didn’t have a small zip-top bag, because for some reason that would have rendered them safe. The really crazy thing was that they were letting people through with huge glass bottles of drinking alcohol that they had purchased at the duty-free shop. They also confiscated the souvenir pens that I had just bought, but the other pens that I was carrying were okay. Jesse made it through with identical pens. The lesson here: security is completely random. I guess that’s how they keep the bad guys off guard.

Anyway, we’ll be boarding in a while and on our way. I hope that we can sleep and that our baggage makes it to LA.